Monday, September 10, 2012

To My Son

My Dearest Dominic,

Today we sent you off to your first day of kindergarten. Daddy came home to drive in with us & everything. We are so excited for you, so happy to see your school adventures begin. We are excited for all the new things you will learn, the amazing things you will discover in this huge world. You told me the other day that you wanted to read, and that is one of the many things you will be learning! When I met your teacher, Mrs. Grafenhauer, for the first time I liked her instantly. You liked her as well, you laughed over your time when you were doing your testing & had no problem asking her all your questions. I know you are in good hands, today as I write this letter to you.

Today when we left for school you were very excited for your first day, you had woken up at 6am!!! As you stood in line I was proud of my little man, so big & responsible, waiting patiently to go inside. My baby is growing up. I was not worried about sending you off. I was not sad. This is after all how life progresses, and I know you are ready for this next step, this new season in your life. We have fully enjoyed our time together at home before these school years & it's so exciting as your Mama to see the person you are growing into. It is a privilege to have the front row seat in your life, watching every milestone, every smile & wiping away every tear. You are an amazing little boy, so full of joy, hope & promise. 

It wasn't until Mrs. Grafenhauer told the class to blow kisses to your parents that I we were going to have a hard time. You hid your face in your coat & frowned, you wouldn't look up. As the line started to move you were rooted in your spot and you began to cry. I came to you, to give one last hug, praying you could get through this. I walked you to the gate, and you were not going to go in. I am fighting tears, trying so hard to be strong for you, I know my tears have to wait. I give you a hug, say goodbye & a little nudge into the gate. The gate closes & the last thing I see is you gripping it, crying. I ran around the corner, I can still hear you, but now you can't see me... I know it is best this way. 

I know that this is best for you. I know you are ready, I don't doubt it for a minute. As I said before I'm not sad, I know this is life, I know you will do great. But I am sad that you are crying. I am sad that your I cannot comfort you, even when I know it's for the best. Today, my little love, we are growing up just a little more. Because everyday we have together is another day that we are teaching you how to be your own person, how to be responsible, how to grow up. Sometimes these lessons are hard. And when they are hard for you, know that they are even harder for me, because I love you more than life itself. You and your brother & sister & daddy are my world, my heart beats to love you. I wake every morning to be the best mama I can be for you. Yes, little love, these lessons are hard for us. 

So, today we had a rough start. But I know that when I pick you up today you will have such amazing stories to tell me. I know you will have had fun & will have already started falling in love with your teacher. I know you will do great, because you are a great kid. I know today was a rough start, but tomorrow will be easier, and before we know it you will be running to class not bothering to look over your shoulder. You will love school, I don't doubt it for a minute. I know that today was hard, but it was time. And I know that you are ready. You just didn't know in your heart today, but tomorrow you will. I love you, Mr D.

Love Always,
Mama





No comments:

Post a Comment