Sunday, September 9, 2012

Privlege of Family

Family... What a privilege to be part of one! Last night my family had the pleasure of coming together to celebrate the marriage of one of my cousins! Let me tell you about my family... They are amazing! They are smart, loving, successful people. And we are a big family, sometimes I can't even keep track of everybody!

I grew up going to all the family functions, the Christmas party always stands out in my mind the most. I remember anxiously waiting through the long car ride out to my uncle's farm. I remember on the day figuring out the best way to get out there, seems the roads were always flooding, I used to wish the roads would flood after we got there so we had to stay overnight.

Then once we were there I would follow my mom around, visiting with all the aunts & uncles. I am the youngest cousin, I think there is 19 of us, I could be totally wrong... Because being the youngest cousin, I actually was the same age as my oldest cousin's kids! I remember they used to set out two rows of big folding tables with chairs all around. Wherever we were the uncle hosting would pray for our family & without fail they would cry as the blessings of a close family are realized once again. I guess crying runs in the family!

I always admired my cousins. They were smart, funny & beautiful, still are! They are strong, they love their families & are some of the most amazing people I know.

Now that we're all grown our family gatherings are a little smaller, but no less special. But I think what made my cousins wedding reception so great last night was that it was once again the whole family coming together. There were some missing, but it felt that we were closer to what we used to be. I still look forward to the Schoenmaker family Christmas party every year. Now it's my children running through the house, probably in another few years it will be my daughter begging to go out and see the horse!

Whenever we faced anything in life we never had to face it alone. I remember so many times when my mom's brothers & sisters came beside her & helped her when times were tough. I also remember many summer bbq's, camping trips, holiday celebrations. I remember my grandpa at Christmas, always so happy to see us, and the political debates that would take place... I do have to admit the desire to debate politics totally skipped over me! But oh, I remember... But the thing that stands out most to me is a love for our family.

Though our family is more spread apart now than it was when I was growing up, the bond is still there. When we come together the time flies by, the years slip away and we are family. A family that is there for each other, prays for each other & loves each other. And we defiantly know how to have a good time!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed Courtney! It's always nice to have that reminder of how special our family is. How very lucky we are to have such a big loving family to set examples for newer generations of Schoenmakers! It was really nice to get to visit with you!

    ReplyDelete