Friday, December 9, 2011

24 Hours of Crazy Fun

The kids had their first night in a hotel! I went with my mom down to the Olympia area to visit two of my aunt's & my cousins new baby. The kids did wonderful in the car, I was pleasantly surprised. I have now decided that the trick to a good road trip is to go in the morning, although they did good when we came back from Grandma Bonnie's in the late evening a few weeks ago. It also probably helps that our new car has a dvd player in it, well, helps the boys, Abi could care less!

When we get to the hotel the boys are sooo excited. They run around the little room, there is a kitchenette, which Dominic thinks is just the coolest thing ever. He opens the door of the freezer & yells, "there are ice cubes in here! and when we eat them all we can make more!!!" They were also super thrilled with the 30 year old 19 inch tv... Why? I really don't know, I think it was just really the novelty of something different. So, we get them in their jammies & start getting ourselves ready for bed as the boys jump from bed to bed. It was like the classic kids seeing a hotel room for the first time. They were so excited that I don't think they fell asleep until after 9:30 or so.

Sleeping at the hotel was an experience as well! First Gabe kept kicking Dominic, but I dealt with that & it was a minor problem. I told them a story as they were going to sleep, rare treat since I am the furthest thing from a storyteller there is... It helped that really I just told them the Christmas story, I know that one pretty well. They fell asleep & then the real fun started... Abigail. She fell asleep & kept coughing in her sleep, which kept me up. And then of course there was the stupid side door of the hotel that people kept coming in & it would slam every time! I swear it slammed at least 20 times. About two hours after Abi fell asleep she woke up screaming. She wouldn't be comforted unless I picked her up. I'm thinking it's the middle of the night, she's going to wake up our whole room & probably everybody else in the hotel. She ended up coming in bed with mom & me. And she wiggles & wiggles then goes to sleep for about half an hour, then wakes up again crying. Then goes back to sleep & starts all over again. I think throughout the whole night I probably got about an hour of sleep & I am not kidding!

But I would have done it again, just for the fact of seeing my boys so excited over the hotel room. And to seeing them jumping from bed to bed. They had a blast on our little trip & who knows, it might be one of those trips that they remember even when they're adults... At the very least I will be hearing about it for the next year!

We spent all afternoon at my Auntie Vickie's and Dominic would ask every time he wanted to say something to her, "umm... what's her name again?" sometimes this question would come multiple times in a 5 minute radius of time! I spent a lot of my time rolling my eyes & reminding myself that they are young. I also treasured their faces at every "new" experience. And I will never forget Gabriel drinking the syrup out of the little bowl at Denny's this morning. Drinking it like juice, then offering it to Abi. Oh and Abi opening a packet of jam & licking it until we gave her a spoon to eat it with.

At my Auntie Nini's her house was all decorated like Christmas. She had this snowman that was all lite up outside, when we left Abi was taking her time. I turn around to get her & she is over right next to the snowman, petting it. I think the lights mesmerized her. We loved seeing baby Collin, he was super cute!!! Crazy to think how fast they grow! The boys also filled their bellies with peppermint oreos before bed there. They each got two, but I saw Gabe sneaking more... And Dominic charmed more out of Aunt Nini too! It was a good night, a good trip.

The rules that were broken were rules that sometimes you just gotta roll your eyes & remember they are only kids once, so why not let them enjoy? Yep, it was a long 24 hours, but a 24 hours I will treasure if for no other reason that I got to really appreciate my kids being just that, my kids. And I love my little crazy kids, although I am looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight & some peace & quiet in 16 years when they're all moved out!

No comments:

Post a Comment