Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Kitchen

My kitchen in my place of refuge in my home. It's where I make our meals & think. With 3 young kids it's also been the place of great interest to the munchkins. I remember Dominic dancing on the dishwasher (don't let your children do this, it will break your dishwasher!!!) then pulling everything out of the drawers & cabinets... Later he would learn how to climb on the counter & dump all my spices. I think that that is when my kitchen became the place where I dreaded having my children. I fight to keep them out. I know they love "helping" mama, but with all three of them wanting to help I have just thrown up my hands and chased them out.

Now, I am trying to figure out how to let them back in. Dominic is now 4 1/2 and is really a good helper, Gabe probably wouldn't be so bad himself. I know I loved cooking with my mama when I was little. So, this afternoon I looked around & saw that Abigail & Gabriel were sleeping & Dominic was just quietly hanging out. I thought to myself, here is my perfect opportunity. I took a deep breath and asked, "Dominic, do you want to help me clean up the kitchen?" He was up & there in less than a second.

It's what proceeded during this time that amazed me. I set him up with the scrubber & gave him a pot to wash. That boy washed it so well, and with the best attitude I have seen all day, and today has been a good day! He washed everything! And while he's washing he says, "I am the best washer! Look how fast I wash this." There were a couple pots with hard to get stuff, so I showed him how to get it, he says, "you can't hide from me, food! I'm gonna wash you so good! scrub, scrub!!!" He cleaned our kitchen with such joy and his joy is washing over me as I watch the little man at work. When he was done washing I told him to wipe up the floor, he did it no problem, then he even swept it! He didn't do a very good job sweeping, but listening to him, "food, you can't hide from me! I'm going to get you all!" will stick with me forever.


So, yeah, the kitchen has been my sanctuary. But after watching my little man I realize it's a much better sanctuary with him as a part. He blessed my like crazy with his silly antics, his determination to do a good job & his joy in the process. I still don't know how I'm gonna let the other two in, but today there was hope. Hope that it can be a place that I can share & find joy in the sharing. I think the real trick is that they just have to be a little older, I still don't think I can let my mini me in & have the experience that I did today with Dominic... But in a couple more years, oh I am so excited to see what elements of joy she will bring to this scared place!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your post. I'm a blogging nut....fun that you have a blog now!

    ReplyDelete