Friday, November 25, 2011

Moving onto Decorating

Today my fall decorations were put away. I realized that I have had a glass bowl full of leaves, gourds & pine cones sitting on the table for over a month! That sounds like a small accomplishment, but it's soo not!!! Do you know what this means for me? This means that I can officially begin decorating my house again! It means that little hands have left my things alone! It means that I can begin wandering out of this forest of baby-proofing...

When we had Dominic I thought to myself, "I will never baby proof my house." Yeah, my child was going to leave my things alone & never get into anything that wasn't his. He was going to be a perfect little angel. Wow! I so hadn't met my child yet!!! Dominic was and is all boy! He started crawling at 5 months & by the time he was 6 months he was pulling himself up & climbing on anything on the floor. And this angel kid of mine, oh he didn't just touch my stuff, he made it his personal mission to get into any & everything that could make a mess or break! Add to this that when he was 7 months old I found out we were pregnant with Gabriel & was sicker than a dog... So, we baby-proofed, but baby proofing in our house was taken to the next level, because we didn't have to baby proof for any baby we had to do it for Dominic. And even at 7 months old that kid was just too smart & he certainly hadn't learned how to productively use those smarts!

Now as I packed away those fall decorations I realized that we have closed another chapter in our lives. We can now leave some things out & not have to worry about them being destroyed. The kids still make a lot of messes & there are things that we still won't leave out, but this is a step in the right direction. We are gaining in self-control! This means that the poinsettia's Shane got me can stay on the table & they will be left alone. This means that when he buys my flowers for our anniversary I can leave them on the table, right smack in the middle, where we can all enjoy them, where they belong. And no, I will not miss the days of spices dumped all over the counter, books constantly pulled off shelves & diaper cream used as moisturizers in the hair! No, I won't miss that & I have pictures to remind me of the beautiful faces discovering the world, and pictures are much cleaner than the actual time in life! Although, we do still hide wipes, they're just irresistible!

1 comment:

  1. We packed away our fall decorations today also and started getting out the Christmas stuff. I'm still in that baby phase at our house and I'm discovering how every child is different. Glad you can enjoy having your table decorated with flowers now!

    ReplyDelete