Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Mother, My Daughter

At this time in 16 more days I will be getting to hug my mom!!! It's been too long.  They have been serving the Lord in Hawaii & Tahiti for the last 5 months.  I have missed my parents sooo much.  I am constantly hearing about Hawaii from my kids, wanting to know when Grandma & Grandpa will be home.  I miss being able to talk to my mom, hang out with her, watch her play with my children, getting hugs when I need them most.  I am blessed to have such a wonderful mother.  We had our share of struggles while I was growing up, but I have never met a more amazing woman than my mother.  She is a strong & loving woman.  She has experienced a lot of life in her lifetime & has grown in wisdom & grace.  My children are so lucky that I broke her in & made her such a wonderful grandmother!!! I cannot wait for her to be an actively present part of our lives again!  We have done the skype thing & talked on the phone, but it's not the same as hugs & face to face quality time.

I hope my mama has a good Mother's Day a whole country away from us... I will miss her so much, but am so blessed that she is only a timezone away & not a lifetime...  I think we're in for a mother daughter day when she gets home though!  I pray that I will be able to be as good as a mother as mine, actually I hope to be an even better mother, although I'm really not sure how that is possible!  But my mother taught me so much.  She always encouraged me, stood beside me, let me cry, tried to understand, taught me who God was & taught me to learn to see myself through His eyes.  I am a woman & was a girl.  Sure I experienced insecurities, and still do, but I have always known who I was in the eyes of my Lord.  In the core, my heart of hearts, I know, I may fight with all my might to believe it sometimes, but there is no doubt.  I have my mother to thank for that.  She always believed in me, always loved me, always told me I was beautiful.  She raised me from a little baby, I made her cry many times & I'm sure I drove her half crazy, a lot of the time, I am a girl after all!  But she never stopped loving me.  I am so thankful for the example I had of a godly woman.  I hope I can be an example to my daughter.

I am learning what little girls are made of.  My beautiful little daughter is just over 2 years old now.  I am learning so much about myself while raising her.  I am challenged so often by my pint size mini me.  I have found the things that drive me nuts the most about my daughter are things that I see in myself!  I wonder if it was the same for my mother?  I wonder if I challenged her to grow so she could be "worthy" of raising me.  I'm pretty sure I was and am her treasure, Abigail is mine.  I love watching my little girl practically prance around the neighborhood, walk in my heels & face life with a pure joy I have never seen before.  Before you think girls are a dream, the truth is, they're not!  They are emotional little people, even when so young!  Abigail is actually great right now, but a couple months ago, she had to have a little extra "loving work" put into her! 

I wondered why God ever gave me a little girl, boys are so much more simple!  I think he gave me a little girl to challenge me.  To make me a more godly woman.  To teach me humility.  To bless me.  Because the bottom line is that Abigail is one of my 4 greatest blessings.  She is the only blessing that has come in a pink package, but the joys of that pink package are amazing!!!  She is teaching me so much and she is the sweetest little girl ever!  I look forward to all the girly things that I get to experience with her.  I love her hugs, girls just know how to hug!  There is no one more beautiful than my daughter, she is beauty inside shining out. 



My Mama is beauty inside shining out as well.  I have never met somebody who didn't like my mom... And if they didn't we're probably not friends, since I'm probably a lot like my mom!  My mama loves people.  She loves me, my husband and my kids.  I am so blessed to have her in my life.  I hurt for those who do not know their mothers, who cannot look at their mothers with love.  Who have not known the love a mother.  I know in this next season of our lives I'll be seeing more kids who don't know the love of a mother.  I pray that they will find that love in our home.  I pray that I will be a godly woman who can share my love with the little friends my children bring home.  I pray that God will fill in all the gaps that my imperfect mothering cannot.  That one day my children will look at me and see a godly woman and be thankful for the example I was for them.  I have so much to learn, so much to strive for.  My mothering journey is only 6 years in after all!  May the grace of God rest on me and my house, may his presence be felt in our home, and may he reign in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment